Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania
Location within the state of Pennsylvania
|Coordinates: 40°4′8″N 75°20′24″WCoordinates: 40°4′8″N 75°20′24″W|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID|
Gulph Mills is an unincorporated community in Upper Merion Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. It is served by the Upper Merion Area School District. There is a station on the Norristown High Speed Line. A grist mill here, built in 1747, supplied flour to the Continental Army during their stay at Valley Forge. General George Washington’s army encamped in the area for a week before departing for winter quarters at Valley Forge. Washington used the area as an ammunition depot during the autumn of 1777. The encampment is marked by a memorial erected by the Sons of the American Revolution in 1892. Another known attraction here is the “Hanging Rock”, a major distraction on Pennsylvania Route 320. Hanging Rock reportedly holds importance as someplace thatGeorge Washington led the troops by. PennDOT has looked to remove “Hanging Rock” but has been stymeed by preservationists since the 1970s.
“Gulph Rock” or “Hanging Rock” located on Old Gulph Road. Photograph circa 1919
Gulph Mill which supplied grain to George Washington’s army. Photograph circa 1922
- ^ Develin, Dora Harvey (1922). Historic Lower Merion and Blockley. Bala, Lower Merion. p. 31.